The Royals and Cubs will start a three-game set when they clash and Kaufmann Stadium in Kansas City on Monday evening. The Cubs is stuck in neutral at the moment, with no streaks longer than two wins or two losses since a four-game run to the good ended on July 20. Kansas City has lost four in a row–including three straight over the weekend against Minnesota.
- 13-39 in their last 52 overall
- 15-38 in their last 53 home games
- 11-41 in their last 52 games against teams with winning records
- 2-8 in Junis’ last 10 starts
- 35-17 in their last 52 interleague games
- 35-17 in their last 52 games against starters with WHIPs over 1.30
- 4-1 in their last five games against right-handed starters
- 5-0 in their last five games against the American League Central
The projection model calls for a Cubs victory, but the Royals are a respectable 9-11 when Jake Junis takes the ball. Plus, Kansas City has faced Cole Hamels twice with split results — they scored five runs over 6.1 innings in one of them. KC covers with the 1.5-run cushion in 60 percent of my simulations. At a +115 price, that’s a worthy risk.
Prediction: KANSAS CITY +1.5