The St. Louis Cardinals are in a good form right now as they won six out of the last eight games including the two on the road over the Marlins. However, the Cards are six victories behind the AL Central leaders Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers, and they need cannot afford to lose here. On the other hand, the Kansas City Royals were in a poor run of six consecutive losses, but they responded with a big victory in the final game of the series with the Cubs. The pitching matchup for Saturday’s tilt will give us Jack Flaherty for St. Louis Cardinals against the Kansas City Royals’ Burch Smith. First pitch was set for 7:15 PM ET.
- 14-42 in their last 56 overall
- 16-40 in their last 56 home games
- 21-55 in their last 76 games against right-handed starters
- 11-41 in their last 52 games against teams with winning records
- 11-29 in their last 40 home games against St. Louis
- 4-1 in their last five overall
- 4-1 in their last five road games
- 4-1 in their last five games against left-handed starters
- 35-16 in their last 51 games against teams with winning percentages under .400
- 5-2 in their last seven games against Kansas City
Danny Duffy has recorded scoreless appearances in three of his last six outings. That bodes well for the Royals, who host the Cardinals and starter Jack Flaherty, who is coming off a six-inning, no-run start against the Pirates. While the simulations indicate the starters matching up evenly, it’s the Cards’ bullpen that ultimately dooms them to a loss. The projections show the Royals taking this one 53 percent of the time. That’s good enough for me. Take K.C.
Prediction: KANSAS CITY +135