It’s the opening game of an interleague sires in the Motor City. The Chicago Cubs are on the road for the first game of their two game series with the Detroit Tigers Tuesday night. Hendricks matched a season high with eight K’s in his last start vs. the Crew. He’s 4-1 with a 3.78 ERA and 51 K’s over 47 2/3 innings in his past eight starts. He faced Detroit on July 3 at Wrigley and did not get a decision, giving up three runs. Zimmermann is 1-4 with a 5.96 ERA in five starts since the All-Star break, yielding a .978 OPS to opposing hitters in that span. His curveball, which has been inconsistent since the break, tends to be the indicator of his success this summer.
- CHC are 37-18 in their last 55 interleague games.
- Under is 20-1 in Hendricks’ last 21 Tue. starts.
- DET are 6-20 in their last 26 Tue. games.
- DET are 3-9 in their last 12 interleague games.
- DET are 15-37 in their last 52 overall.
HEAD TO HEAD:
- CHC are 4-12 in the last 16 meetings.
- Over is 6-2 in the last 8 meetings in Detroit.
My trusty simulations indicate a lopsided win by the Cubs against the Tigers by an average of over two runs a whopping 73 percent of the time. Detroit starter Jordan Zimmermann was shelled in his last start by the White Sox, allowing six earned runs in five innings. He’ll oppose Kyle Hendricks (9-9, 4.11 ERA) who has been adequate, but struggles to go deep into games. Still, the projections show Chicago’s bats putting on a show in Motown.
Prediction: CHI. CUBS -182