SAT 9/1 | 7:30 PM EDT | NOTRE DAME STADIUM
While some might not want to admit it, Jim Harbaugh’s return to Michigan hasn’t yet yielded the desired results. The Wolverines haven’t made it to a Big Ten Championship Game, and they also haven’t beaten the Buckeyes. But this could be the year that changes. Ole Miss transfer QB Shea Patterson is now the face of this Michigan program, and he put up some impressive numbers as a freshman in the SEC. The Wolverines also have a great group of pass-catchers, as Grant Perry, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Eddie McDoom and Tarik Black are all capable of making big plays. Michigan is also stacked on defense, as DT Rashan Gary is a stud and the secondary is tough to beat. Ohio State might be the favorite to win the conference, but Michigan represents some serious value for futures bettors.
- Over is 7-1-1 in Wolverines last 9 non-conference games.
- Wolverines are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 non-conference games.
- Wolverines are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 road games.
The Fighting Irish played like their four-win 2016 season never happened last year, reaching 10 wins with a bowl win over LSU. Some key members of that dominant rushing attack are gone, including RB Josh Adams and linemen Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey. Plus, quarterback Brandon Wimbush (or someone else) needs to step it up as a passer. But the defense should be destructive, as it returns stars like DT Jerry Tillery, linebackers Te’von Coney and Drue Tranquill, and corner Julian Love.
- Under is 4-0 in Fighting Irish last 4 games overall.
- Under is 4-0 in Fighting Irish last 4 non-conference games.
- Over is 4-0 in Fighting Irish last 4 vs. Big Ten.
Head to Head:
- Home team is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 meetings.
- Wolverines are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 meetings in Notre Dame.
Let’s face it, the Wolverines have underachieved in Jim Harbaugh’s tenure in Ann Arbor, but now he has a QB (Ole Miss transfer Shea Patterson) and one of the nation’s top running back units. Notre Dame has its QB situation set (Brandon Wimbush), but the offensive line in front of him may need to experience some growing before it’s a top unit. That’s trouble against a Michigan defensive front that is loaded and deep.
Prediction: MICHIGAN -1.5